On the 7th of October 2015, the network organised the very first Coventry Food Justice Walk to visit engaging food-related projects throughout the city, learn from each other and build good networks, whilst sharing experiences.
In total, 40 people from all walks of life participated in the walk. It was a very enriching and empowering experience, yet very relaxed and informal. It was great to have children participating in the walk too and to have plentyof time to talk whilst eating all this food we’re celebrating!
The Coventry Food Justice Walk included 5 stops:
1. We met at the Rose Community Centre in Spon End, where the Coventry Men’s Shed (A) team was preparing some tea and (delicious!) pancakes! Gibo explained how the project works and welcomed everyone with a smile!
2. We then walked through Coventry Market to get to Rising Cafe (B), where Emma shared her experience at Betel and Rising Cafe and treated us to some cakes and refreshments;
3. We walked via Coventry University’s Edible Campus garden to reach Leigh Street Community Garden (C). Chris gave us an enticing presentation of the community garden, Food Union and the Pod and invited us to take some apples to eat and help us reflect about food!
4. We took more of an overview via the Transport Museum spiral staircase and reached the Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre (D), where Cassie shared some of the amazing achievements and challenges that her and her team faces at work;
5. And, last but not least, we finished the walk at Ego (E) to hear from Georgina about their engaged and creative approach and to enjoy some well-deserved food!
“Thank you so much for organising the Coventry Food Justice Walk yesterday. It was a real privilege to visit every single one of the stops, to meet the various people and encounter their passion about the work they are doing. It was very interesting also to speak with the other people on the walk, literally an incredible journey and truly inspiring.” Janis
Date: 7th October 2015 (Wednesday)
Start: The ROSE Community Centre, Hope Street, Spon End, Coventry, CV1 3LH (map)
End: EGO, Silver Street, Coventry, CV1 1JN (map)
To find out more information, feel free to send us an email to email@example.com.